Today, VMware has over 50,000 VMware Certified Professionals (VCP) and 41+ VMware Certified Design Experts (VCDX). The VCP is VMware’s introductory certification. It requires a VMware Education class and successfully passing the VCP exam at a local testing center. The VCDX is VMware’s highest level certification, requiring a VCP, two mid-level exams, a design proposal, and the defense of that design at a VMware-chosen location.

While the VCP has been wildly popular and the VCDX has generated a lot of interest, the issue has been the wide knowledge gap between these two very different certifications. The VCDX is ideally suited for high-level enterprise designers and consultants with extensive experience and it IS NOT the next logical step after you achieve your VCP.

Because of this gap, VMware has introduced a new certification with TWO LEVELS. The new certification is the VMware Certified Advanced Professional, or VCAP and its two different levels are the “DCA” and “DCD”. More specifically, these expand out into…

• VMware Certified Advanced Professional Datacenter Administration (VCAP-DCA)
  • VMware Certified Advanced Professional Datacenter Design (VCAP-DCD)

Before anyone gets confused, you don’t need to take both of these tests, only one test is required to achieve the VCAP. Let’s cover each of these in more detail…

VCAP – Datacenter Administration

Ideal for virtual infrastructure designers, the “DCA” focuses on large and complex virtual infrastructures. You should be able to plan, implement, manage, and maintain vSphere deployments. You must already have your VCP4 certification and they you can take the new VCAP-DCA exam, which will be available after July 12, 2010. Unlike the VCP, there is no VMware Education course required (but you must already have your VCP4). Unlike the VCDX defense, the VCAP-DCA can be taken at a locally authorized testing center (similar to the VCP).
VCAP – Datacenter Design

Like the name suggests, the “DCD” is tailored toward virtual infrastructure designers. You should be able to design a large multi-site enterprise virtual infrastructure. You’ll have to have a “deep understanding” of VMware core components, design methodologies & principles, and understand how application and infrastructure services relates to the virtual infrastructure. Assuming you already have your VCP4, you would take the VCAP-DCD exam which will be available in August. Again, there is no VMware Education class required for the DCD and you can take it at a locally authorized testing center.
What do I get?

Beyond having the VCAP letters after your name and the personal satisfaction, you may be wondering what else you get from passing a VCAP exam. While it hasn’t been released yet, there will be a VCAP logo that you can use on your business card. Beyond that, VMware is generously offering discount admission to VMworld, invitations to beta classes & exams, and inclusion in an “exclusive VCAP community”. VMware Education also told me that more benefits are on the way!
New VMware Education Classes

To aid those interested in getting their VCAP (and anyone else who just wants to learn advanced vSphere content) VMware is launching three new classes (all based on vSphere 4). They are:

And, VMware Education says that they have three other classes on the way:

• vSphere: Manage and Design for Security
  • vSphere: Automation with VMware PowerCLI
  • vSphere: Business Continuity Disaster Recovery Design

Upgrading your VMware VCDX3 to VCDX4

If you already are a VCDX on VI3 and want to become a VCAP4 or VCDX4, VMware has a nice diagram that lays out the path to VCAP4 and VCDX4. Here is how it all fits together:

In Summary…

Soon I will be taking the VCAP beta exams before they are released later this year. As soon as those exams are out of beta (and NDA) I will talking more about the exams blueprint and recommendations for study materials (without breaking any of the non-disclosure rules). Additionally, I will try out one of the new VMware Education classes and post a review on it. Finally, over the next month I am working with fellow vExperts to create the best video training you’ll find covering advanced vSphere topics (releasing soon in our vSphere Pro series video training) which may help you in preparing for the VCAP exams.

موضوعات مشابه: