Announcing the HP Proliant G8 – the server for the next generation

I have to confess that I had been waiting quite some time to read about the new servers from HP, their HP Proliant G8 servers, I had heard rumors, attended some briefings talking about what HP were working and therefore couldn’t wait to see what they would include with this release, what benefits to the customer they would include and how they could make systems management and support that little bit easier.
You can download the official brochure here, the new server models are listed with their accessories and related products here.
What are the key benefits for me before we go through the different products announced?
  • Agentless hardware monitoring
  • Built in drivers and firmware so there is no need for driver media
  • Further enhancements in manageability, deployment technologies and energy efficiency
  • Significant innovations and improvements in scalability and performance across the components

So what are the key products that are released:
  • HP Proliant DL360 G8 – (their 1u server) bringing us up to 2 Intel Xeon E5 2600 processors, support for 768GB of RAM, Flexible LOM technologies so you can choose your connectivity. HP Proliant QuickSpecs live here.
  • HP Proliant DL380 G8 – (their 2u server) bringing us up to 2 Intel Xeon E5 2600 processors, support for 768GB RAM, Flexible LOM technologies so that you can choose your connectivity and support for six PCI Express expansion slots. HP Proliant QuickSpecs live here.
  • HP Proliant BL460 G8 – (their dual socket half height blade offering) bringing us up to 2 Intel Xeon E5 2600 processors, support for up to 512GB RAM, Flexible LOM technologies so that you can choose your connectivity, enhancements to the performance of the storage controller and Mezzanie options. HP Proliant BL460c G8 QuickSpecs live here.
  • HP Proliant ML350 G8 – (their expandable tower server for the enterprise) brings us up to Intel Xeon E5 2600 processors, support for 384GB of RAM, either 24 SFF or 18 LFF hard drives, 8 PCIe 3.0 and 1 PCIe 2.0 I/O slots for additional communications and storage expansion. HP Proliant ML350 G8 QuickSpecs live here.
  • HP Proliant SL230s G8 – (their scalable node, which you can fit 8 in a four 4u enclosure) brings us up to 2 Intel Xeon E5 2600 processors, up to 256GB RAM, Flexible LOM for connectivity, up to two hard drives and a configurable option for one GPU engine. HP Proliant SL230s G8 QuickSpecs live here.
  • HP Proliant SL250s G8 – (their scalable node, which you can fit 4 in a 4u enclosure) brings us up to 2 Intel Xeon E5 2600 processors, up to 256GB RAM, Flexible LOM for connectivity, up to four hard drives and a configurable option for up to three GPU engines. HP Proliant SL250s G8 QuickSpecs live here.

The new servers are set to illustrate what the next generation of HP server products are going to bring us in terms of improved manageability, reduced deployment times and end user empowerment through effective and efficient technologies, for stand alone applications, virtualization and cloud alike. The ILO4, the onboard drivers and firmware, not to mention the innovations in the storage and Flexible LOM connectivity further enhance the choice for the customer and bring very welcome enchancements in performance and reduced operational cost and management.

موضوعات مشابه: