نمایش نتایج: از شماره 1 تا 3 از مجموع 3

موضوع: Step by Step Creating and Maintaining a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7

نام حقيقي: 1234

مدیر بازنشسته
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده

Step by Step Creating and Maintaining a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7

کد:
    http://lynnlunik.net/2010/03/creating-and-maintaining-a-windows-7-image-using-virtual-pc-on-windows-7-part-1-of-3-step-by-step/

PART-1

One method of making available a Windows 7 Workstation Image is using Virtualization Software to provide such an Image. Once generated, this Windows 7 Image can be used for Application Testing, addition to a Domain for Group Policy Testing and many other uses. I have created many Windows Operating Systems Images over the years and wanted to share with you one method to create, modify, maintain and re-use a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC from Microsoft. The key to this endeavor is understanding that generating the initial Windows 7 Image in Virtual PC is a straightforward process. The Virtual PC method of mounting an .ISO Image of the Windows 7 Source Media files from the Host Workstation CD/DVD Drive within the image, and then using the mounted .ISO File (of Windows 7 Source Media) for the Virtualized Guest Operating System Installation provides an effecting method to creating the initial Image. Once the Virtualized Guest Partition running Windows 7 Entprise is installed, my hope is to offer a manual method to ‘maintain’ the Windows 7 Image for future updates, while, at the same time creating a copy of the Image and then sealing the Image using the defined Sysprep Process from Microsoft. The usefulness of having a Windows 7 Image readily available for use in Virtual PC is endless. The fact that you will always have a ‘current’ Windows 7 Image in your Virtual PC Library is invaluable. Over and above this usefulness I will review a method to duplicate the VHD File prior to using Sysprep for ’sealing’ and then maintaining the ‘unsealed’ VHD File for use in subsequent months when Security Updates or additional Application are required within the Image.
    Of course, the method I review is very manual. There are plenty of points along the way where scripting or use of specific utilities or tools would be appropriate. My goal is to offer a framework for the process whereby you can apply any nuances, scripting or any other activities you feel appropriate. Again, this is a multi-part Blog entry. Here’s how each part lays out.

1. In this Blog entry Part 1 of 3 I will generate a Windows 7 Enterprise Image on a Windows 7 Workstation running Virtual PC. Typically this is termed ‘provisioning an image’ as we are starting in Virtual PC with nothing and finishing with Windows 7 Enterprise running as a Virtual Guest Partition within Virtual PC on a Windows 7 Host.
    2. In Part 2 of 3 I will use a process to ’seal’ a copy of the Virtual Hard Disk (VHD File Format) using Sysprep that can then be used as a ‘current’ Windows 7 Image.
    3. Finally, in Part 3 of 3 I will review a method to maintain an ‘unsealed’ copy of the Virtual Hard Disk, update the Image with Security Updates, duplicate the VHD then ’seal’ the ‘new current’ Windows 7 Image to be made the ‘most up to date’ and ‘fresh’ Windows 7 Enterprise Image when the need arises for its use.

Figure 1 – Launch Virtual PC on the Windows 7 Enterprise Host to begin creation of the Windows 7 Enterprise Guest Partition.
    On the Windows 7 Enterprise Host Workstation I begin by opening Virtual PC using the ‘Manage Virtual Machines’ Task. I have several Virtual Guest Partitions already on this Host as you can see by the blurred Guest Partition Names under ‘Recent Virtual Machines. Use of the ‘Manage Virtual Machine’ Task is required to create a new Guest Partition (our Windows 7 Enterprise Image).

Figure 2 – Select ‘Create Virtual Machine’ to begin the creation process for the Guet Partition.
    The ‘Create Virtual Machine’ Task initiates the Wizard that generates the Windows 7 Enterprise Image.

Figure 3 – Selection of a Folder named ‘Win7×86-Sealed’ to store the Virtual PC Guest Partition files.
    I have created a Folder on the Volume titled ‘Win7×86-Sealed’ as the location for the files generated by Virtual PC when creating a Guest Partition. I select this precise name as it is a reminder that when completed this Image of Windows 7 Enterprise will need to be ’sealed’ using the Sysprep process prior to use.

Figure 4 – The ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard begins where both a ‘Name’ and a ‘Location’ are specified.

Figure 5 – Next the amount of ‘Memory’ and ‘Networking’ parameters are defined. I select to ‘Use Computer Network Connections’ which ‘bridges’ the Guest Partition across the Host Network Interface (NIC).

Figure 6 – The next selection in the ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard is specific to the ‘type’ and ’size’ of the Virtual Hard Disk.

Figure 7 – Note that (a quick aside ) to view the contents of the ‘Win7×86_Sealed’ Folder where the Virtual PC Guest Partition Files for this Windows 7 Enterprise Image are held includes 2 files at this point. File 1 is the ‘Virtual Machine Hard Drive Image’ file while File 2 is the ‘Virtual Machine Settings File’.

Figure 8 – Now that the ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard is completed status of the Guest Partition (the Windows 7 Enterprise Image) is visible located on the ‘E:’ Drive. Next, I will focus on the ‘CD/DVD’ Setting for the Guest Partition in order to ‘Boot’ this Bare Metal Guest Partition to an Operating System it is necessary to place the Windows 7 Source Media (DVD) in the form of an .ISO Image. This .ISO Image Virtual PC can read and used as Boot Media for the Virtualized Guest Partition Operating System installation.

Figure 9 – Upon selecting the Windows 7 Enterprise Image it is possible to modify the ‘Settings’ for this Guest Partition.

Figure 10 – Upon selecting the ‘Settings’ Option for this Guest Partition the ‘Windows Virtual PC Settings’ Dialogue Window is visible. The focus is on the ‘DVD Drive’ named ‘D:\’.

Figure 11 – Here is the key to creating this Windows 7 Enterprise Image (also called a ‘Guest Partition’) – selecting an .ISO File with the Windows 7 Enterprise Source Media (MSDN, Select or Volume Licensing) for the initial ‘Boot Process’ to create the Operating System Install. Since the ‘DVD Drive’ is pointed to the .ISO File of Windows 7 Enterprise Source Media I now move to ‘Boot’ the Guest Partition for the first time.

Figure 12 – Using the ‘Open’ Menu Option ’starts’ the Windows 7 Enterprise Guest Partition for the first time. Remember here, this Guest Partition should use the .ISO File of Windows 7 Enterprise Source Media and initiate the ‘Installation Process’ for Windows 7 Enterprise.

Figure 13 – Here the WinPE Environment from the Windows 7 Enterprise Source Media is Booting correctly. Now the initial Installation is underway a normal sequence of selecting IP Settings, Workgroup Mode, etc. occurs.

Figure 14 – The standard Mini-Boot Sequence for Windows 7 Enterprise is underway. Again, this is a Virtualized Guest Partition running on a Windows 7 Enterprise Host. Once this Guest Partition is complete with selected Security Updates and Applications I will duplicate the Virtual Hard Disk storing one ‘unsealed’ version for future Updates and using the second by ’sealing’ using the Sysprep Process as the ‘master’ for duplicating as many times as required based on the need for a Windows 7 Enterprise Image.

Figure 15 – One of the Features of a Virtual PC Configuration running on a Windows 7 Enterprise Host is the requirement to Install the ‘Virtual PC Integration Components’ to achieve real usability. Upon initially attempting to select the ‘Next’ Button from Figure 14 above, a Popup like this appears. Do note the ‘Ctrl+Alt+Left Arrow’ requirement to ‘release’ the mouse point prior to installing the Virtual PC Integration Components. Once the VPC Integration Components are installed (Requires a Reboot) this Key Sequence is no longer necessary.

Figure 16 – The Guest Partition is ready to installation of Windows 7.

Figure 17 – The Windows 7 Install Process requires Acceptance of the License Terms to advance.

Figure 18 – The Default allocation for a Dynamically Expanding Virtual Hard Disk Size is ‘127 GB’. This information correlates to Figure 6 above.

Figure 19 – Succesful selection of a Partition advances the Installation Process to begin the exchange of files from the Windows 7 Source Media to the Guest Partition.

Figure 20 – The cycles of the Windows 7 Installation near a close. Again, once we build this Windows 7 Image once I will review using it successfully over and over.

Figure 21 – After a successful Reboot the ‘Set Up Windows’ Dialogue Windows offers the ability to configure the ‘first Administrator’ and the ‘Computer Name’.

Figure 22 – Since the ‘first Administrator’ controls the Workstation the Wizard advances the requirement for Password Confirmation and a ‘Password Hint’ field.

Figure 23 – The ‘Automatic Update Settings’ near the final step to a successful Login to this Windows 7 Enterprise Virtualized Guest Partition.

Figure 24 – After a selection of the ‘Time Zone’ and a validation of the correct Time I proceed.

Figure 25 – Finally, the Windows Firewall Settings correlate to selection of the ‘Computers Current Location’. I select ‘Public Network’ as the most restrictive Windows Firewall Settings are included.

Figure 26 – Success! Upon viewing the Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop I begin the process of installing the ‘Virtual PC Integration Components’. Again, these components allow interaction between the Virtual Environment and the Host Workstation in a fluent way.

Figure 27 – The Virtual PC Integration Components display as being ‘inserted’ into the Guest Partition CD/DVD. I select ‘Run Setup.exe’ from the ‘Autoplay’ dialogue windows.

Figure 28 – The ‘Virtual PC Integration Components’ use a typical .MSI Installation paradigm.

Figure 29 – The ‘VPC Integration Components’ install a variety of Drivers to ’shim’ between the Hardware Assisted Virtualization and Hardware Components on the Host Workstation.

Figure 30 – In this capture the ‘VPC Integration Components’ installation is complete pending a Reboot. Observe the Error Balloons offered carefully. Further investigation of this Error Balloon will occur following the Reboot.

Figure 31 – The pending Reboot moves this Installation closer to visiting Microsoft Update for Security, Critical and Important Updates.

Figure 32 – After a successful Reboot I login as the ‘first Administrator’ configured previously. I will begin the ‘patching process’ next. Additionally, I will add any Applications appropriate for this Image.

Figure 33 – The ‘Virtual PC Integration Components’ installed successfully as demonstrated by the availability of the ‘USB’ Drop Down Menu that includes integrating the ability to ‘Attach’ to the Host Workstation ‘ Desktop’.

Figure 34 – After a quick switch of the ‘Default Picture’ I am ready to begin next steps. These steps include 1) applying Security Updates and 2) installing Applications. Applications for consideration are any used in the Image that would require time and effort in the future when provisioning this Virtualized Image for usage. Time spent once is gained back triple if carefully installed.

Figure 35 – A clean, working Desktop is available in this Virtualized Guest Partition running Windows 7 Enterprise. Control of this Image is available through the Host Workstation. I will begin adding appropriate Security, Critical and Important Updates from Microsoft Update.

Figure 36 – Upon selecting ‘Control Panel’, then ‘Check for Updates’ from the ‘Windows Update System and Security Center’ I begin to mature this Image to full health. Remember, I selected ‘Public’ as the ‘Network Connection’ which provides well defined Windows Firewall settings.

Figure 37 – After selecting and installing a varity of Security Updates a Reboot is in order. I will ‘complete’ this Image by adding additional Applications for productivity.

Figure 38 – Success! Again, this is the first sequence of steps to mature this Image for additional use.
    Summary: In this Blog entry focused on creating and maintaining a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7 I initiated the creation of a Virtual Guest Partition running Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. this Virtual Guest Partition running Windows 7 Enterprise Edition will be used in subsequent Blog entries where both ’sealed’ and ‘non-sealed’ Images will be preserved.
    Lynn Lunik
    Chief Security Architect
    IT Pro Secure Corporation

موضوعات مشابه:

مدیر بازنشسته
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده
    کد:
    http://lynnlunik.net/2010/03/creating-and-maintaining-a-windows-7-image-using-virtual-pc-on-windows-7-part-2-of-3-step-by-step/

PART-2

I am using several steps to demonstrate how to create, use and maintain a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7 Enterprise. Part 1 of 3 is available here. It is important to view Part 1 of 3 in advance of reviewing this Blog entry as it includes the fundementals of creating a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC. This is Part 2 of 3 that addresses creation of a ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image.
    Here’s some reference vocabulary for this endeavor:
    Sealed - the process of using Microsoft Sysprep to ’seal’ a Workstation Image for duplication. The ’sealing’ process applies to either Physical or Virtual Machine Images.
    Unsealed – the process of updating a Virtual Machine Image and then retaining the Image without ’sealing’ for future updates.
    Again, because in Virtual PC a series of Files comprise a Virtual Machine it is this fact I capitalize upon to retain both a ’sealed’ and ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Image.

Figure 1 – As I begin, here’s a quick refresher of the items constructed in Step 1 of 3. In a Folder titled ‘Win7×86_Sealed’ I have created a Virtual Machine Hard Drive Image (VHD) titled ‘Win7×86_3-2-2010. This VHD will become a ’sealed’ VHD with updates and Applications through 3-2-2010. Also note the ’supporting files’ such as the ‘Virtual Machine Settings File’ and the ‘VPC Backup File’ in the folder.
    The concept of ’sealing’ a VHD includes using the Microsoft Sysprep Process to remove any uniquely distinguising characteristics from the Image. Examples of characteristics include 1) Domain Membership and 2) Machine SID (among others).

Figure 2 – Next, I create a new Folder titled ‘Win7×86_Unsealed’. This folder will ’store’ the unsealed version of the VHD for future modification. In summary, because this VHD is not ’sealed’ using the Sysprep Process it can be ‘re-opened’, then modified and maintained in the future. I copy the VHD from the ‘Win7×86_Sealed’ Folder PRIOR TO SEALING THE VHD FILE! (This is important as the naming convention for the folder can be confusing initially!)

Figure 3 – The ‘unsealed’ VHD is copied (a manual file copy) from the ’sealed’ folder to the ‘unsealed’ folder titled ‘Winx86_Unsealed’. Again, the ‘unsealed’ VHD is for storage and future useage.

Figure 4 – After moving a copy of the VHD into the ‘unsealed’ folder for safe keeping – I ‘Open’ the VHD to begin the Sysprep Process.

Figure 5 – The Windows 7 Enterprise Workstation Image opens without issue. I have added the Sysinternals BGInfo 4.16 application to provide the details displayed as the Desktop Background.

Figure 6 – A quick enumeration of the ‘Start Menu’ indicates installation of only basic Applications within this Windows 7 Enterprise Image. Next, I will begin the Sysprep Process to ’seal’ this Image.

Figure 7 – An ‘Administrative Command Prompt’ is required to run the Sysprep Process.

Figure 8 – The Sysprep Process is initiated.
    The commands required from an Administrative Command Prompt for Sysprep include:
    cd \windows\system32\sysprep sysprep

Figure 9 – The Sysprep Tool v.3.1.4 opens within this Windows 7 Enterprise Image. It is important to select ‘Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)’ from the ‘System Cleanup Action’ Drop Down, and ‘Shutdown’ from the ‘Shutdown Options’ Drop Down Menu.
    Upon completion of this step (when successful) a fully ’sealed’ version of a Windows 7 Enterprise Virtual Machine is stored within the Virtual Machine Hard Drive Image file. This VHD is ‘current’ with Updates and installed Applications through the creation date (3-2-2010). I can now duplicate this ’sealed’ VHD for creation of any Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machines required for Testing.

Figure 10 – Observing the ‘Win7×86_Sealed’ Folder denotes the 3 Files that comprise the Windows 7 Enterprise Virtual Machine just ’sealed’ by the Sysprep Process.
    Creating a Workstation Image from the ‘Sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Sysprep Image

Figure 11 – I create a Folder Hierarchy of ‘E:\VMs_in_Use\WS_1_Win7×86′ for storage of Virtual Machines for Testing. If you observe the Folder Names it should be clear my intent is to make a Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual PC Image with a Host Name of ‘WS-1′. I will copy the ’sealed’ VPC Hard Disk to the ‘\WS_1_Win7×86′ Folder.

Figure 12 – Upon completion of copying the ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 VHD into the destination folder where the VPC Workstation Image files will reside, I then ‘rename’ the VHD File. This renaming process allows for orderly storage, reference and usage when numerous Virtual Machines are involved.
    The next step will entail creating a new Virtual Machine using Virtual PC and the referenced Virtual Machine Hard Disk.

Figure 13 – After renaming the Virtual Machine Hard Disk to match the naming criteria of the Testing Workstation (WS-1), I can begin to ‘Create’ the Virtual Machine using the Virtual PC Console.

Figure 14 – I begin creation of the new Virtual Machine using the ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Hard Disk Image by selecting ‘Manage Virtual Machines’ from the ‘Windows Virtual PC’ Application.

Figure 15 – Upon opening the ‘Windows Virtual PC’ Application I select ‘Create Virtual Machine’ from the menu choices.

Figure 16 – The ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard provides the ability to name the Virtual Machine and define the File Path. Note the File Path to the Virtual Machine Hard Disk Image previously ’sealed’ using the Sysprep Process.

Figure 17 – Next, the amount of Memory and desired Network Interface Connection type are selected.

Figure 18 – Here’s the important step in using a ’sealed’ Sysprep Image in Virtual PC – BE SURE TO SELECT THE VHD PREVIOUSLY COPIED INTO THE VIRTUAL MACHINE FOLDER. Again, I previously copied the ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 VHD named ‘WS_1_VHD1.VHD’ into this folder for useage.

Figure 19 – Upon completion of the ‘Windows Virtual PC’ Wizard for creating a Virtual Machine I move to the Folder where the new Virtual Machine is stored. Upon selecting the Virtual Machine, I then select ‘Open’ from the menu options.

Figure 20 – The new Virtual Machine running Windows 7 Enterprise x86 initiates for the first use. The Sysprep Options selected in Figure 9 above yield starting of the System-Out-of-Box Wizard.

Figure 21 – This Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image is starting correctly. Again, this is a ’sealed’ Image created using the Sysprep Process.

Figure 22 – The initial steps in the ‘Set Up Windows’ Wizard include 1) naming the Computer and 2) identifying the initial Administrator for the Workstation Image.

Figure 23 – Upon inputting a Password for the initial Administrator, along with a Password Hint, I proceed to the next step in the ‘Set Up Windows’ Wizard for this Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine.

Figure 24 – I select Acceptance of the License Terms next.

Figure 25 – I select the Recommended Settings for Automatic Updates.

Figure 26 – I select the appropriate Time Zone and Time.

Figure 27 – Finally, I select the Network Connection matched to the Computers Current Location.

Figure 28 – Upon completing of the ‘System Out-of-Box’ Wizard, a very usable Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine is available. This Virtual Machine is Updated through the Date of creation and includes any Applications I have included in the original ’sealed’ Image.
    In creating a prepared Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image I have the flexibility to create as many Virtual Machines as required for the Testing or usage Scenarios I address. If another Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image were necessary I would simply follow the process again beginning at Figure 11 above through Figure 28. Of course each of these Virtual Machines require additional System Resources which can be allocated as available.
    In Part 3 of 3 I will demonstrate how to ‘maintain’ the Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image that is ‘unsealed’. Specifically, when additional Security Updates are made available I will apply them to the ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Image and then update the ’sealed’ Image using the ‘fresh’ Virtual Machine Hard Disk Image. Take a look at Part 3 of 3 when you have interest.
    Summary: In this Blog entry I focus on ’sealing’ a Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image created using Virtual PC and then using the Sysprep Process. I also demonstrated the required steps to separately maintain an ‘unsealed’ version of the Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image stored in a separate Folder. This Blog entry is Step 2 of 3 in a 3 part series. In the Part 3 of 3 I will demonstrate how to ‘update’ the ‘unsealed’ version of the Windows 7 Enteprise x86 Image stored in Part 2 of 3 for future useage.
    Lynn Lunik
    Chief Security Architect

مدیر بازنشسته
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده
    کد:
    http://lynnlunik.net/2010/03/creating-and-maintaining-a-windows-7-image-using-virtual-pc-on-windows-7-part-3-of-3-step-by-step/

PART-3

In this the final post for this series titled ‘Creating and Maintaining a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7′ I will demonstrate a method to ‘maintain’ a Virtual Machine Image that is ‘unsealed’. If you have not reviewed Part 1 of 3 or Part 2 of 3 you will find them at previous links.
    As I begin this process you must understand that the maintenance of an ‘unsealed’ Windows Image is to provide the ability at some point in the future to ‘re-open’ that Image and apply Security Updates, Install Applications or add Files and Folders required for usage of the Image. Upon completion of these additions it is necessary to begin a new ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image dated according to the date of modification (most System Engineers use Version Numbers). The process of creating a new ’sealed’ Image for use includes maintaining both ’sealed’ (those Windows Images ’sealed’ with the Sysprep Process) and ‘unsealed’ (those Images simply ‘Shut Down’ without sealing with the Sysprep Process).
    If you are reading this Blog entry without reading the prior associated entries in this sequence, here is a summary of those posts and the tasks addressed in this entry:
    Part 1 of 3 – Create a Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image booting from an .ISO of the Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Source Media using a Windows 7 Enterprise Host Workstation.
    Part 2 of 3- Use the File Copy Process to duplicate the Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image Hard Disk and then use the Sysprep Process to ’seal’ the Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image. Create a new Virtual Machine in Virtual PC from the ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image. Use the New Virtual Machine in Virtual PC for Testing.
    Part 3 of 3 – (This Blog entry) I will ‘re-open’ the ‘unsealed’ duplicate Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image Hard Disk and apply Security Updates and Install a selected Application. Then, duplicate the ‘updated’ and ‘unsealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Hard Disk to be retained as the new ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Image. Use the Sysprep Process a second time to ’seal’ the ‘updated’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Hard Disk to create the new ‘Master’ and ’sealed’ Virtual Machine Image. Finally, use the ‘master’ and ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Hard Disk Image to create a new Virtual Machine in Virtual PC for Testing.
    Additionally, I use a specific folder structure at the Operating System level that works for me. You may find labeling of the folders these that the Virtual Machine Files are held requires different titles to suit your need. Again, my idea here is to offer my approach, understanding others will refine, change and pioneer modifications that are appropriate. Here’s the summary:
    Drive\Directory\Win7×86_Sealed
    This folder holds the Sysprep ’sealed’ Virtual Machine Files through a defined Date when the Image was created. Use of the single .VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) file using a manual file copy process into a new folder permits creation of a Virtual Machine within Virtual PC that when the Virtual Machine Boots for the first time the Mini-Setup Wizard initiates. This allows creation of Virtual Machines as required.
    Drive\Directory\Win7×86_UnSealed
    This folder holds the ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Files through a defined Date when the Image was created. The purpose of this folder is to store the ‘reference unsealed’ Virtual Machine for rebooting, adding Updates and Applications and then following the ‘copy off into a new unsealed folder’ and then use the Sysprep Process to ’seal’ the updated Workstation Image. This process allows quick updating when required.
    Additionally, before getting underway with this last Blog entry in this sequence, let’s agree on terms that apply to this endeavor (used throughout these entries):
    VHD – Virtual Machine Hard Drive Image
    VMC – Virtual Machine Configuration File
    VPCBackup – Virtual Machine Backup File
    VUD – Virtual Machine Undo File (not used in this Blog series – but helpful to know!)
    Let’s get underway now where I left off in Part 2 of 3. Let’s take a summary review of the Folders and Files compiled to date.

Figure 1 - A Virtual Machine Image created from the ’sealed’ (i.e. Sysprepped) Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine. The Host Name for this Virtual Machine is ‘WS-1′ and it is comprised a 3 Files in the Folder. File 1 – the Virtual Machine Hard Disk Image named ‘ws_1_vhd1.vhd’. File 2 – the Virtual Machine Configuration File named ‘ws-1′. File 3 – the Virtual PC Backup File named ‘ws-1.vmc.vpcbackup’. Note that I store all Virtual Machine Images used for Testing in a Folder titled ‘VMs_in_Use’.

Figure 2 – This is the current ‘master sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image in the Library. To create a new Virtual Machine from this ‘master’ Image I manually copy the .VHD File to a new Folder and use that .VHD File as the Bootable Hard Disk for the new Virtual Machine as the Boot source. This Blog entry will demonstrate how to create a replacement for this ‘master sealed’ Windows Image that includes the lastest Security Updates and Applications necessary for your Virtual Machine Testing.

Figure 3 – This ‘unsealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image is retained for use as the mechanisms from which to create a new Virtual Machine to which are applied Security Updates and Applications Installed to maintain a current Virtual Machine Image that includes all appropriate Applications for Testing. If you observe closely this Folder will retain both the historical and new ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Images in the form of a Virtual Machine Hard Disk (.VHD) File.

Figure 4 – Here the work of this Blog entry begins. I first create a new Folder titled ‘ Win7×86_Sealed_thru_3-9-2010′. I place a copy of the ‘unsealed’ VHD File (found in the folder titled ‘Win7×86_Unsealed’) into the new Folder. Finally, I rename the VHD File to ‘Win7×86_3-9-2010′ which reflects the Date in which this ‘unsealed’ VHD will be updated (with Security Updates and Installed Applications) through.

Figure 5 – In Figure 4 I created a Folder and placed a VHD File within that Folder. Now, I will create a Virtual Machine to use the VHD File. Again, with this Virtual Machine I will Boot from the VHD File (the ‘unsealed’ VHD File) and then apply Security Updates and Install an Application. Once current, this Virtual Machine will be copied off for safe keeping and then ’sealed’ using the Sysprep Process to become the new ‘master sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Workstation Image within Virtual PC. I open Virtual PC on Windows 7 using the ‘Manage Virtual Machines’ Menu Option.

Figure 6 – I initiate the ‘Create Virtual Machine’ Task focused on the opening the ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Hard Disk Image.

Figure 7 – Using the ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard in Virtual PC I offer the Virtual Machine Image a ‘Name’ and ‘Location’. I select both a descriptive name and location for easy reference.

Figure 8 – Following the same process for creating a New Virtual Machine as found in the prior Blog entry (Step 2 of 3) I select specific Memory and Networking Options.

Figure 9 – Here’s an important step. Select the VHD File manually copied into the new Folder under ‘Use an Existing Virtual Hard Disk’. In this configuration the VHD File selected is the Boot mechanism for the Virtual Machine Image. I have highlighted the File Name in yellow above.

Figure 10 – Upon completing the ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard no event happens. I move to start the New Virtual Machine using the ‘Manage Virtual Machines’ Task from the All Programs Menu.

Figure 11 – The ‘Manage Virtual Machines’ Task details all Virtual Machine Images available within Virtual PC on the Host Workstation. I select the appropriate Virtual Machine to Open.

Figure 12 – The Virtual Machine using Windows 7 Enterprise x86 opens correctly providing the ability to Login.

Figure 13 – The intent for opening this ‘unsealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image is to 1) apply Security Updates through the current Date/requirement, and, 2) Install Applications necessary for the Testing Environment. I begin by updating Malware Definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials. I also Install the latesting version of Adobe Reader 9.X. Before I begin these processes I choose to change the Workstation Host Name and Reboot.

Figure 14 – I navigate to ‘Control Panel, then ‘System and Security’ and then to the ‘System’ Application. Observe the Host Name of ‘win7×86-3-2-10′. I use this naming convention to quickly identify the Date through which this Virtual Machine was last updated. I will next advance this Host Name to ‘win7×86-3-9-10′ for reference.

Figure 15 – I complete the processes of applying Malware Updates and I changd the Host Name. Finally, I initiate a Reboot.

Figure 16 – After a successful Reboot I observe the Host Name change is also successful.

Figure 17 – Here I use an Administrative Command Prompt to issue an appropriate Product Key for the Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Image. The Product Key is accepted with confirmation.

Figure 18 – The process of identifying required Security Updates includes navigating to ‘Control Panel’, then ‘System and Security’ and finally ‘Windows Update’. I then select ‘Check for Updates’ to query the Microsoft Update Services for outstanding Security Updates. Note that 3 ‘Important Update’s are required.

Figure 19 – Upon completing the Installation of the 3 Security Updates I initiated a Reboot using the ‘Restart Now’ Button.

Figure 20 – After a successful Reboot, I use Internet Explorer to navigate to the Adobe Web Site to download Adobe Reader 9.X.

Figure 21 – Installation of the Adobe Reader 9.X occurs without incident. I am quickly closing in upon all the required Security Updates, Malware Updates and Applications for Installation to update this Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image.

Figure 22 – Prior to ’sealing’ this freshly updates Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image I ’shutdown’ the Virtual Machine. Once ’shutdown’ I can then use a file copy process to move a copy of the ‘unsealed’ and newly updated Virtual Hard Disk into a retention folder. Storage of the VHD in its current state is required for use in the future when more Security Updates, Malware Updates or Applications for Installation are required.

Figure 23 – I have not ’sealed’ this Virtual Machine Image yet (so the naming can be a bit confusing at this point). I copy the Virtual Hard Disk (.VHD) file named ‘Win7×86_3-9-2010′ to the ‘Win7×86_Unsealed’ Folder for storage. This Folder still holds the prior ‘unsealed’ VHD File originally generated on 3-2-2010.

Figure 24 – Examination of the ‘Win7×86_Unsealed’ Folder yields clarity as to the contents. The 2 Files (VHD Files) held within this Folder are the 2 ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Images maintained in the Library of ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Images. I am able to use either File over and over based upon need. If the need is for a Virtual Machine without Adobe Reader 9.X I can use the VHD File named ‘Win7×86_3-2-2010′. If a Virtual Machine Image is required that includes Malware Updates on Microsoft Security Essentials through 3-9-2010 I use the VHD File named ‘Win7×86_3-9-2010. ‘
    In both cases it is important to note I must follow the process to copy the ‘unsealed’ VHD File to a new Folder, create a new Virtual Machine, ’seal’ the new Virtual Machine using the Sysprep process then use this ’sealed’ Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) as the Bootable Virtual Hard Disk to the new Virtual Machine Image running Windows 7 Enterprise x86.
    If you this seems like alot of steps – it is! Once mastered the number of steps becomes insignificant compared to including the appropriate Security Updates, Malware Updates and Installed Applications. If you are considering doing this in an automated fashion there are several ‘Enterprise’ Products that automate this whole process. The folks at Microsoft (System Center Virtual Machine Manager), VMWare and Citrix make products that automate this whole process.

Figure 25 – I focus back on the ‘Win7×86_Sealed_thru_3-9-2010′ Folder to prepare to ‘Restart’ the Virtual Machine Image to then use the Sysprep Process to ’seal’ the Virtual Machine Image.

Figure 26 – After a successful ‘Restart’ of the Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image I confirm all settings as ‘final’ prior to using the Sysprep Process.

Figure 27 – I open an Administrative Command Prompt to invoke the Sysprep Process. Then, I select ‘Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)’, ‘Generalize’ and ‘Shutdown’ from the ‘Shutdown Options’ Drop Down Menu. These selections will remove any unique characteristics for this Virtual Machine Image and using the ‘Generalize’ Check Box will require Plug-and-Play to detect the Hardware Configuration.
    Again, the power of this approach to creating ’sealed’ Virtual Machine Images is upon completion of this process the VHD File can be used as the basis for creating new Virtual Machine Images that are unique.

Figure 28 – As validation of the effectiveness of the method outlined in this 3 Part Blog entry I will generate a new Virtual Machine running Windows 7 Enterprise x86 using the newly updates Virtual Machine Image (the Image from 3-9-2010). If you recall, the original Virtual Machine Image is from 3-2-2010 and DOES NOT include Adobe Reader 9.X. I begin by creating the new Virtual Machine named ‘WS-2′ in a Folder titled ‘WS_2_Win7×86′ under the ‘VMs_in_Use’ Folder.

Figure 29 – Using the same process outlined twice previously I rename the VHD to match the Naming Convention suitable for easy recognition (previously named ‘Win7×86_3-9-2010.vhd’ and renamed ‘ws_2_vhd1.vhd’).

Figure 30 – Virtual PC is opened using the ‘Manage Virtual Machines’ Task from the Virtual PC Menu option on the Start Menu in Windows 7.

Figure 31 – Upon using the ‘Open’ Menu Option the ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard provides Options for completion for the ‘Name’ and ‘Location’. The ‘Location’ is the File Path selected in Figure 29.

Figure 32 – I select ‘Memory’ and ‘Networking’ Options and proceed.

Figure 33 – Finally, I select the ’sealed’ VHD File that was copied (using file copy) and renamed from Figure 29.

Figure 34 – The ‘Create a Virtual Machine’ Wizard completes succesfully. Next I ‘Open’ the Virtual Machine Image running Windows 7 Enterprise x86 using a ‘Right Mouse Click’ and then ‘Open’ from the Drop Down Menu.

Figure 35 – The Virtual Machine Image for Host Name ‘ws-2′ launches the Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) from the Mini-Setup Wizard.

Figure 36 – I input the ‘Initial Administrator’ User Name and the ‘Computer Name’.

Figure 37 – Next, input of a Password for the ‘Initial Administrator’ User ID and a ‘Password Hint’.

Figure 38 – Next, acceptance of the ‘License Terms’ advances the process.

Figure 39 – The ‘Automatic Update’ Settings require a selection to advance.

Figure 40 – Next, I select the appropriate ‘Time Zone’ to proceed.

Figure 41 – Finally, I select the ‘Network Location’ for the Virtualized Image. Upon completing this final step we can validate the Installed Applications include Adobe Reader 9.X as the ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image should include.

Figure 42 – Success! The Virtual PC Virtual Machine Image running Windows 7 Enterprise x86 includes Adobe Reader 9.X. This confirms succesful completion of a process to use the newly ’sealed’ Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image updated through 3-9-2010.
    Since this process includes 3 Blog entries and over 130 Figures I felt it appropriate to review the contents of the Files and Folders contents that are part of this sequence. Here’s is the summary of the File and Folder contents.

Figure 43 – In the Sub-Folder under ‘VMs_in_Use’ titled ‘WS_1_Win7×86′ are the Virtual Machine Files for Workstation 1 supporting a Virtualized Machine named ‘ws-1′. This Virtual Machine was generated using a ’sealed’ Windows Image updated through 3-2-2010.

Figure 44 – In the Sub-Folder under ‘VMs_in_Use’ titled ‘WS_2_Win7×86′ are the Virtual Machine Files for Workstation 2 supporting a Virtualized Machine named ‘ws-2′. This Virtual Machine was generated using a ’sealed’ Windows Image updated through 3-9-2010 and included specific Security Updates, Malware Updates and a spefically Installed Application of Adobe Reader 9.x.

Figure 45 – In the Folder titled ‘Win7×86_Sealed’ includes a ’sealed’ Virtual Machine with Updates through 3-2-2010. This Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image was generated using the Sysprep Process. Duplication of the VHD File provides the ability to create numerous additional unique Virtual Machines using a defined process.

Figure 46 – In the Folder titled ‘Win7×86_Sealed_thru_3-9-2010′ includes a ’sealed’ Virtual Machine with Updates through 3-9-2010. This Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Image was generated using the Sysprep Process with the ‘Win7×86-3-2-2010′ ‘unsealed’ Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) as the basis. Duplication of the VHD File provides the ability to create numerous additional unique Virtual Machines using a defined process. This Virtual Machine Image includes the Adobe Reader 9.X Application as an example.

Figure 47 – In the Folder titled ‘Win7×86_Unsealed’ includes 2 ’unsealed’ Virtual Machines unique based upon the ‘Date Modified’ and the File Naming Convention. These Windows 7 Enterprise x86 Virtual Machine Images retain the Security Updates, Malware Updates and Installed Applications through each respective Date and Time. Duplication of each respective VHD File occurred and was the basis through which each of the ’sealed’ Virtual Machine Images including those updated on 3-9-2010 was generated.

Summary:In this Blog entry, Part 3 of 3 I demonstrated a method to use an ‘unsealed’ Virtual Machine Image running Windows 7 Enterprise x86, update the Security Update, Malware Updates and Installed Applications, to then copy the updated Virtual Machine Image and then use the Sysprep Process to generate a ’sealed’ Virtual Machine Image. This ’sealed’ Virtual Machine Image can then be used in a defined duplication process for creating numerous unique Virtual Machine Images running Windows 7 Enterprise x86. This Blog series, consisting of 3 Parts includes a sequential series of steps leading up to the final steps in Part 3 of 3.
    Lynn Lunik
    Chief Security Architect

کلمات کلیدی در جستجوها:

set up windows 7 License terms

sysprep 3.1.4

sysprep 3.1.4 download

winpe background image download

windows 7 key

software update restart balloon

sysprep 3.1.4 generalize

systemvorbereitungsprogramm 3.1.4