تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده

Planning an Upgrade to Hyper-V 2008 R2

کد:
    http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/microsoft-hyper-v-articles/installation-and-deployment/planning-upgrade-hyper-v-2008-r2-part1.html

PART-1

What you need to know when planning to upgrade your existing host servers to Hyper-V R2.

Introduction

Microsoft’s Hyper-V was nice as first generation products go, but Hyper-V 2008 R2 is far superior to the original release. A new feature called Live Migration allows you to move virtual servers from one host to another with no down time. In addition, Microsoft has made some tremendous improvements to Hyper-V’s performance and scalability. For example, the original Hyper-V release supported 16 virtual processors, but Hyper-V 2008 R2 supports 32!
    If you are already using Hyper-V, you probably can not wait to take advantage of these, and all of the other new features. In order to do that though, you will have to upgrade your existing host servers. In this article series, I will explain what your options are for upgrading from Hyper-V to Hyper-V 2008 R2.
    Before I Begin

Before I get started, I need to clarify some of the terminology that I will be using throughout this article series. There are two different flavors of Hyper-V 2008 R2. One of these flavors installs on top of Windows Server 2008 R2 as a server role. The other flavor is a standalone server. For the purpose of this article series, I will be referring to the Hyper-V server role as the Hyper-V R2 Role. I will be referring to the standalone version as Hyper-V R2.
    Just as there are two versions of Hyper-V 2008 R2, there are also two versions of the original Hyper-V. I will be referring to the standalone version as Hyper-V Server and I will refer to the server role as the Hyper-V Role.
    Upgrading from the Hyper-V Role to the Hyper-V R2 Role

Microsoft gives you three different methods for upgrading from the Hyper-V role to the Hyper-V R2 role. You can perform an in place upgrade, an export / import, or a backup and restore. I will discuss each of these options in detail.
    Performing an In-Place Upgrade

As the name implies, an in-place upgrade involves installing Windows Server 2008 R2 over top of your existing copy of Windows Server 2008, which will cause Hyper-V to be upgraded in the process. On the surface, performing an in-place upgrade sounds really simple. There is more to it than meets the eye though.
    The first thing that you need to know about an in-place upgrade is that a compatibility report displayed during the upgrade process tells you that you need to uninstall the Hyper-V role before you continue. According to Microsoft Knowledgebase article number 957256 this is an erroneous error message that can be disregarded.
    A much more pressing consideration is that the Hyper-V R2 role does not support saved states that were created while the server was running the Hyper-V role. This can be a major issue even if you do not use saved states, because snapshots use saved states. The Hyper-V R2 role does not have any trouble dealing with offline snapshots (snapshots taken while a virtual machine is shut down), but it does have some compatibility issues with online snapshots (snapshots made while the virtual machine was running).
    The easiest way to perform an in-place upgrade is to perform a full backup of your host server, delete your snapshots, and then shut down your virtual machines and perform the upgrade. Of course getting rid of your snapshots is not always practical. The upgrade process will involve less work if you can manage to delete your snapshots, but there is a workaround if getting rid of your snapshots is not an option. Incidentally, shutting down the virtual machines is a requirement of the upgrade process.
    Rather than trying to explain the workaround right now, I am going to walk you through an upgrade later in this series, and when I do, I will show you the workaround for dealing with your snapshots.
    Before I move on, there is one more thing that I need to mention. The integration services have changed in the Hyper-V R2 role. Therefore, after the upgrade process completes you will have to manually update the integration services on each virtual machine.
    It is worth noting that if you have virtual machines that are running Windows Server 2008 R2, then the Programs and Features list will give you the illusion that the integration services have not been installed. To find out if the integration services have been installed or not, check the list of installed programs for an update named KB955484. This is the new name for the Integration Services.
    Exporting and Importing Virtual Machines

The second method for upgrading the Hyper-V role involves exporting your your virtual machines, and then importing them into the Hyper-V R2 role. The same basic limitations apply to this technique as apply to an in place upgrade.
    Although the Hyper-V role will allow you to export a virtual server that is currently in a saved state, you will be unable to start the virtual machine within the Hyper-V R2 role until you get rid of the saved state.
    The limitation to virtual machine snapshots also applies to exporting and importing virtual machines. If you can get away with it, it is best to delete all of your virtual machine snap shots prior to shutting down and exporting your virtual machines. If that is not an option, then you can use the same workaround that I mentioned in the previous section.
    As was the case with an in-place upgrade, you must update the integration services for each virtual machine that you import into the Hyper-V R2 role.
    Although the export / import method is fairly painless, using this method can result in a considerable amount of down time. My experience has been that the export process can take several hours for some virtual machines. The actual amount of time that the export process takes depends on the size of the virtual machines that you are exporting and on your hardware capabilities.
    Backup and Restore

The third method that Microsoft recommends for upgrading to the Hyper-V R2 role is to use a Hyper-V aware backup application to backup your virtual machines. Once the backup has completed, you can install Windows Server 2008 R2 and the Hyper-V R2 role, and restore your backup.
    The interesting thing about this method is that Microsoft does not seem to make any mention of issues related to saved states or virtual machine snapshots. The only caveat that Microsoft lists for this particular method is that once you have restored your virtual machines, you will have to install the latest version of the Integration Services. I have to admit that I have not tried this upgrade method yet, but I hope to get a chance to try it before this article series is complete so that I can report my findings.
    Conclusion

So far I have explained the basics of upgrading from the Hyper-V role to the Hyper-V R2 role. In Part 2, I will continue the discussion by walking you through a Hyper-V upgrade. Later in the series, I will discuss some other types of Hyper-V upgrades that you can perform

موضوعات مشابه:

نام حقيقي: 1234

مدیر بازنشسته
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده
    کد:
    http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/microsoft-hyper-v-articles/installation-and-deployment/planning-upgrade-hyper-v-2008-r2-part2.html

PART-2

This article concludes my discussion of upgrading to Hyper-V 2008 R2 by walking you through an actual, in place upgrade.

Introduction

In my previous article in this series, I began introducing you to some of the concepts involved in upgrading to Hyper-V R2. In this article, I want to conclude my discussion by walking you through an in place upgrade of Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V.
    The Prep Work

Rather than providing you with a generic set of instructions for performing an in place upgrade, I decided to upgrade a server that I use as a virtualization host for a number of lab machines. Before I began the upgrade process, there was a little bit of prep work that I had to do.
    The first thing that I did was to make sure that I had the correct version of Windows Server 2008 R2. My server started out running the X64 version of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition, so I made sure that I had the 64-bit Enterprise Edition of Windows Server 2008 R2.
    As I mentioned in the previous article, the upgrade process will go more smoothly if you can get rid of your virtual machine snapshots. That being the case, I shut down all of my virtual machines, and then deleted all of my snapshots by right clicking on the snapshot and choosing the Delete command from the shortcut menu. It is worth noting that it can take a long time for the snapshots to be merged. In my case, the merge process took the better part of a day.
    The last thing that I did prior to beginning the upgrade was to make a full system backup of my server. I wanted to make sure that I had something to fall back on if the upgrade process failed catastrophically.
    The Upgrade Process

The actual upgrade process itself was a lot easier than what I expected. I started out by inserting my Windows Server 2008 R2 installation DVD, and running Setup. When I did, Windows displayed a familiar splash screen, on which I clicked Install Now. At that point, Setup began copying all of the system files from the installation DVD to my server’s hard drive.
    When the copy process completed, Setup asked me if I wanted to check online for the latest installation updates, which of course I did. When the update check completed, Setup asked me which edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 I wanted to install. I chose the Enterprise Edition option since that is what was previously installed on my server, and clicked Next.
    The following screen asked me to accept the license agreement. After doing so, I was taken to the screen shown in Figure A. This familiar screen asked if I wanted to perform an upgrade or a custom installation. Needless to say, I chose the Upgrade option.

Figure A:
    When prompted, choose the Upgrade option
    At this point, Setup displays the warning message shown in Figure B. As you can see in the figure, this warning message is essentially just a disclaimer telling you that you need to make sure that all of your software is compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 before continuing with the installation. Since my server was only acting as a virtualization host, I went ahead and clicked Next.

Figure B:
    Make sure that your software is compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 before going any further
    At this point, Windows will begin copying files and transferring files, settings, and applications. As you can see in Figure C, this process is nearly identical to a regular Windows Server 2008 installation. When the Setup process finishes, your upgrade is complete.

Figure C:
    The rest of the upgrade process is just like installing Windows Server 2008
    Confirming the Installation

When Setup completes, the server will reboot and load Windows Server 2008 R2. On the surface, you would be really hard pressed to tell the difference between Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Likewise, the Hyper-V Manager looks virtually identical to the way that it did in the original RTM release of Hyper-V. That being the case, I wanted to take the opportunity to show you how to confirm that the upgrade has succeeded, and that you are running the new version.
    Since we performed a full blown operating system upgrade, it is not a bad idea to verify that the operating system is reporting the correct version. There really is not any reason why it should not be. Even so, I seem to recall a time when I was going to upgrade from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2003 R2 and accidentally inserted the wrong installation disk. To make a long story short, I ended up accidentally reinstalling the same operating system that was already running. Since that time, I like verifying versions after an upgrade, just to make myself feel better.
    If your server is using the default wallpaper, then you would not have to look far for evidence that the server was successfully upgraded. As you can see in Figure D, Windows Server 2008 R2 displays the Windows Server 2008 R2 logo on the desktop wallpaper. If you prefer a more conclusive version check though, then just right click on My Computer, and choose the Properties command from the resulting shortcut menu. The resulting System Properties sheet displays the operating system version, as shown in the figure below.

Figure D:
    The System Properties sheet displays the Windows Server version ID
    Confirming that Hyper-V was successfully upgraded is a little bit less intuitive. As I mentioned earlier, you would be hard pressed to look at the Hyper-V Manager and tell that anything has changed. The easiest way to check the Hyper-V version is to open the Hyper-V Manager and choose the About Hyper-V command from the Help menu. When you do, the Hyper-V version will be displayed, as shown in Figure E.

Figure E: Choosing the About Hyper-V command from the Hyper-V Manager’s Help menu displays the Hyper-V version information
    As you can see in the figure, the Hyper-V Manager displays a version number, but it does not explicitly say that Hyper-V 2008 R2 is being used. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to figure out which version of Hyper-V is being run by looking at the version number. Here is what the various version numbers mean:
    6.0.6001.17101 – The beta version of Hyper-V
    6.0.6001.18004 – The Hyper-V Release Candidate
    6.0.6001.18016 – The original RTM release of Hyper-V
    6.1.7600.16385 – Hyper-V 2008 R2
    Post Installation Work

Since the majority of the installation process is automated, you really do not have to do much after Setup completes. One thing that you do have to do though is to update the Integration Services on each of your virtual machines. To do so, I simply used the Control Panel option to remove software to uninstall the integration services from each virtual machine. After that, I just rebooted each virtual machine and then installed the integration services in the usual way.
    Conclusion

As you can see, the process of performing an in place upgrade is really simple and straight forward. Even though the upgrade itself is easy, you should always do your due diligence and thoroughly test for hardware and software compatibility prior to the upgrade.
    My original plan had been to continue this series by talking about the various types of upgrades to Hyper-V R2 that can be performed, and the various caveats associated with each upgrade type. A few days ago though, I found out that another author on this site is already working on such a series. Out of respect to that author, I am going to conclude my series on upgrading to Hyper-V 2008 R2 with this article

نام حقيقي: میثم معظمی گودرزی

خواننده شناسه تصویری dammkon
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2005
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده
    دوست عزیز
    من برای اولین بار هست که می خوام از این سرور استفاده کنم
    و از این حاصیت ویرچوال سازی استفاده کنم ولی هرچی گشتم HYPER-V رو پیدا نکردم
    می خواستم بدونم مشکل من از نسخه ویندوز هست ؟

نام حقيقي: 1234

مدیر بازنشسته
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده
    شما باید اول آن را از سایت مایکروسافت دانلود کنید.
    مجانی است.

کلمات کلیدی در جستجوها:

primary domain controller در ویرچوال

KB955484

dammkon persisch

برچسب برای این موضوع

مجوز های ارسال و ویرایش

• شما نمی توانید موضوع جدید ارسال کنید
  • شما نمی توانید به پست ها پاسخ دهید
  • شما نمی توانید فایل پیوست ضمیمه کنید
  • شما نمی توانید پست های خود را ویرایش کنید
  •