تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده

Running ESX 3.5 and 3i Under VMWare Workstation 6.5 Beta Build 91182

کد:
    http://vinf.net/2008/05/18/running-esx-35-and-3i-under-vmware-workstation-65-beta-build-91182/
    Following on from my earlier post I upgraded my installation to the new build of 6.5. it un-installed the old build and re-installed the latest without a problem, took about 30mins and required a reboot of the host OS.
    All my previously suspended XP/2003 VM’s resumed ok without a restart but needed an upgrade to the VMTools which did require a restart of the guest OS – all completed with no problems.
    Now, onto installing ESX….
    I used the settings from Eric’s post here to edit my .vmx file
    کد:
    ethernet0.virtualDev = “e1000″
     monitor.virtual_exec = “hardware”
    monitor_control.restrict_backdoor  = “true”
    Note – you need to select an x64 Linux version from the VM type drop down, if you have to go back and change it via the GUI after you’ve edited the .vmx file it overwrites the Ethernet card “e1000″ setting to “vlance” so you need to edit again otherwise the ESX installer won’t find a compatible NIC and won’t install.
    it was initially very slow to boot; 5mins on my dual core laptop with only one error – which was expected..

To improve the performance I changed my installation to run the non-debug version of the Workstation binaries (rename the vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe)
    note: this isn’t recommended unless you know what you are doing, VMWare will rely on the output from the debug version of the code if you need to report any issues)
    It also seems to work for the installable version of ESX 3i… (although I’ve not quite figured out the point of that version yet ).

Install prompt

it did fail with an error the 1st time round..

this was because I had specified an IDE disk as per the ESX instructions, I changed it to a SCSI one and it worked ok.

Finished..

The ESX 3i install has a footprint of about 200Mb on disk, and ESX 3.5 uses 1.5Gb.
    I’m going to keep the 3.5 install on my laptop and will try to use linked clones to maintain a couple of different versions/configs to save disk space.. I’m sure I could knock up a quick script to change the hostname/IP of each clone – if I do I’ll post it here.
    Why would you want to do this? well because you can, of course and its handy for testing patch updates and scripts for ESX management etc.
    I will also try to get a ESX DRS cluster running under workstation with a couple of ESX hosts and shared storage over iSCSI using something like OpenFiler as shown here. won’t exactly be production performance, but useful for testing and demo’ing

موضوعات مشابه:

نام حقيقي: 1234

مدیر بازنشسته
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده

ESX 3.5 is running on Workstation 6.5 Build 91182

کد:
    http://www.ntpro.nl/blog/archives/470-ESX-3.5-is-running-on-Workstation-6.5-Build-91182-!!!.html
    Last night I received an anonymous tip from someone deep inside the VMware Workstation development team. The tip I received was all about running ESX 3.5 inside Workstation 6.5 and the possibility to power on a VM.
    Try the latest Workstation 6.5 Beta 1 Refresh and you are in for a surprise...
    This afternoon I downloaded the latest build of the Workstation 6.5 Beta and tried to run ESX 3.5 inside it.

Download VMware Workstation 6.5 Beta VMware Workstation 6.5 Beta
    Latest Version: Beta | 5/12/08 | Build 91182

I created a standard (other Linux) VM with two CPU's, 1024 Gb mem and a 20 GB SCSI disk. I also added the following tree lines to the VMX file.

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
    monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
    monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

This time running ESX 3.5 inside WS 6.5 worked, no slow booting anymore. The test lab is online again. After installing ESX 3.5 update 1 the following screenshot showed up within minutes.

I contacted Keith Adams, he’s one of the WS 6.5 engineers and asked him if he could confirm that we can use ESX 3.5 in the latest build of VMware Workstation 6.5, he confirmed :
    Indeed, we've changed the nomenclature around. It's now:
    monitor.virtual_exec="hardware"|"software"|"auto"
    (Note: monitor, not monitor_control.)

For all guest os types:
    hardware = VT on Intel, SVM on AMD
    software = BT for all 32-bit guests, and on BT-capable 64-bit AMD hardware for 64-bit guests as well
    auto = Let us guess what to do (the default).

I also contacted Ulli over at sanbarrow.com, he’s the king of VMX tweaks and he responded directly with :
    Hi Eric
    use
    کد:
    guestOS  = "other"
    ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
    scsi0.virtualDev =  "lsilogic"
    monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
    monitor_control.restrict_backdoor  = "true"
    I'd also recommend to install the ESX itself to IDE and use the LSI-logic disks for VMFS Use 2 virtual CPUs only when you have a quadcore system - otherwise use one CPU
    Ulli
    There's still an issue with powering on a VM.
    *** VMware Workstation internal monitor error ***
    vcpu-1:ASSERT vmcore/private/a20_shared.h:67
    There is a problem in this version of VMware Workstation.
    We rely on your feedback to improve the quality of our product. Please submit a support request that describes the problem at our Web page "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=8". Do not forget to attach the log file (C:\Virtual Machines\ESX 3.5\vmware.log) and the core file(s) (C:\Virtual Machines\ESX 3.5\vmware-core[0-1].gz, C:\Virtual Machines\ESX 3.5\vmware64-core[0-1].gz, C:\Users\Eric Sloof\AppData\Roaming\VMware\vmware-vmx-debug-4064.dmp).
    To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.
    We appreciate your feedback,
    -- the VMware Workstation team

th95 سپاسگزاری کرده است.

نام حقيقي: Mohammad

عضو ویژه شناسه تصویری th95
    تاریخ عضویت
    Sep 2008
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده
    نوشته های وبلاگ
    در مورد نصب روی vm 7 نکته ای وجود نداره ؟