تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده

VMware Data Recovery - Overview

کد:
    http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vmware-esx-articles/backup-recovery/vmware-data-recovery-part1.html

David Davis

PART-1

Introduction

There is such a tremendous need out there for virtualization-specific backup applications. I know that VDW will be a big hit with VMware admins. Whether you are a new virtualization admin or have years of experience, everyone knows that backup and recovery must be top on the list. If an ESX host fails or a datastore goes down, mission critical VMs that were using those pieces of the virtual infrastructure will need to be restored, quickly. If they cannot be restored, you do not want to be the one who is to blame.
    What were our backup options before VMware’s Data Recovery?

Backup and restore of VMware virtual infrastructure, in my opinion, has never been very easy. VMware has never offered its own backup application, and no, VCB is NOT a backup application even though it is called “VMware Consolidated Backup”. VMware Consolidated Backup actually does not backup or restore anything. All VCB really does is to provide you access to the VMFS file system to allow you to use some other method of backup and restore on your virtual machines.
    Prior to Data Recovery, every admin out there either;

1. Wrote some scripts to use with VCB for backup
    2. Kept their traditional backup application running in each guest
    3. Used some interface where that allowed their traditional backup application to backup VMs using VCB
    4. Bought a virtualization-specific backup application like vRanger, esXpress, or Veeam Backup

None of these options were integrated into Virtual Center / vCenter.
    What is VMware Data Recovery?

Data Recovery (or VDR) is the name of VMware’s new backup and recovery application. Contrary to the name, 50% of Data Recovery’s job is the backup of virtual machines (and 50% is “recovery”). Still, Data Recovery does a lot more than just backup and restore of virtual machines. Let’s look at a feature list:

• A real backup application with a GUI interface (unlike VCB)
    • Integrated into vCenter
    • Disk based backup and restore of VMware ESX virtual guest machines
    • Easy deployment with initial setup wizard
    • Restore of individual files from a guest VM or the entire image of a guest VM
    • Wizard with workflow to create and schedule backup jobs
    • Multiple restore points are displayed for each VM for easy restore
    • Understands when VM guests are moved from one ESX host to another because of DRS, VMotion, or VMHA
    • Full or incremental backups of guest VMs
    • De-duplication so that only changed data is actually backed up (not duplicate data). This way, you are able to maintain full point in time backups of each VM but only a fraction of the disk space, that would normally be required, is used
    • Compatible with any storage that ESX supports- Fibre, iSCSI, NAS, or local
    • Data Recovery is built on VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) and, with vSphere, there is no more VCB, only Data Recovery

But what does Data Recovery NOT do? It does not have the ability to send backed-up data to tape, like a traditional backup application would. Data Recovery is a disk-based backup application. Still, when compared to the other virtualization-specific backup applications out there (vRanger, esXpress and Veeam Backup), Data Recovery is the same as they are because they don’t send data to tape either.
    Keep in mind that Data Recovery is not going to backup anything BUT your virtual machines. It is not going to backup your physical servers.
    As for limitations, one of the limitations of Data Recovery is that it is recommended to only backup up to 100 guest VMs with a data recovery appliance. And, you cannot manage multiple data recovery appliances with a single vCenter server. That means that, currently, if you have more than 100 guest VMs or you think that you will, you may want to consider other virtualization backup options.
    How does VDR work?

VDR is imported in OVF format as a virtual appliance. It will only work in an ESX 4 / vSphere infrastructure. A plugin is installed with a Windows installer. When you restart the vSphere client, you will see the new plugin. After booting the VDR guest VM, you will see its IP address. To manage it, in the vSphere client, go to Solutions and Applications, into Data Recovery, and tell it the IP address of the new VDR appliance. From there, you will be able to manage VDR.
    Let us look at some screenshots…
    What does VMware Data Recovery look like?

Here is the VDR appliance running in my virtual infrastructure, after being imported and powered on:

Figure 1: VDR appliance after being imported and powered on
    Here is the VDR management plugin for VDR, where VDR is configured and managed:

Figure 2: VDR solutions and applications management plugin for VDR
    And here is where you check the current starts of VMware’s Data Recovery;

Figure 3: Status reports of what VDR can do
    How do I get VMware Data Recovery?

I would like to tell you the exact cost and that you can buy VMware Data Recovery today. However, that is not the case. I am told that VDR will be made available for sale at the same time that vSphere is. VMware has promised us all that it will be “cost effective”, so we will see.
    In the mean time, if you are interested in trying or buying VMware Data Recovery, I recommend you monitor the VMware Data Recovery homepage and talk to your local VMware sales rep.
    Where can I get more resources about VMware Data Recovery

Here is a list of resources to learn more…

موضوعات مشابه:

نام حقيقي: 1234

مدیر بازنشسته
    تاریخ عضویت
    Jul 2009
    محل سکونت
    نوشته
    سپاسگزاری شده
    سپاسگزاری کرده

VMware Data Recovery - Backup and Recovery of a Virtual Machine

کد:
    http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vmware-esx-articles/backup-recovery/vmware-data-recovery-part2.html
    PART-2

Introduction

In my previous article (VMware Data Recovery Overview), I covered the latest features of VMware’s new backup and recovery application for VMware. You learned what it has to offer and how it can help you.
    In this article, I will put VMware Data Recovery (or VDR) to the test by demonstrating how it can be used to backup and restore a guest VM inside the vSphere client and on an ESX 4 server.
    Creating Backup Jobs in VMware Data Recovery

Creating a backup job in VMware Data Recovery is easy. In fact, when you first connect to VDR, the Getting Started Wizard will ask you if you want to create a backup job.
    Note:If you choose that option, or if you choose to create a backup job later, both will look the same. In fact, you can have multiple backup jobs configured to backup whatever VM guests you want, during whatever timeframe you want and have them sent to whatever backup destination you choose. Each backup job is independent.
    Here is where the process of creating a backup job starts, with the VDR Backup Wizard (in Figure 1), below.

Figure 1: Backup Wizard
    In the first step of the Backup Wizard, you choose which Folder, Data Center, ESX host, or VM guest you want to backup with this backup job. The great thing about this is that you could choose to backup your entire virtual infrastructure with the click of a mouse. This could be done by selecting the topmost folder.
    In my case, I selected a single Windows Server 2008 guest VM and clicked Next.

Figure 2: Selecting the Backup Destination
    In the second step of the Backup Wizard, you then select the backup destination. This could be a local volume or a network share.
    In my case, I had created a local SCSI / VMDK volume ahead of time (as it was faster than a network share) so I selected that and clicked Next.

Figure 3: Selecting a Backup Window
    The third step in the Backup Wizard is to select your backup window. This will be the timeframe that your new backup job will be allowed to run in. The default backup window is shown (all times except Monday-Friday from 7am to 5pm are valid).
    Note:The blue blocks show the timeframe that the backup job is allowed to run in. The grey blocks show the timeframe that the backup job is not allowed to run in.
    After having a look at the default backup window, I clicked Next.

Figure 4: Setting the Retention Policy for the Backup
    At this point, I had to set the retention policy for this backup job. The retention policy is what tells VDR how long you want to keep the data that you back up.
    I think that VMware have a novel take on the retention policy actually. I like how you can set the policy to retain “few, more, or many” copies of your backup data. That is language that anyone can understand.
    When you change the retention policy, the policy details below change with it. You can also create a custom retention policy by choosing Custom, then setting the policy details manually.
    Like all the other screens, when done, I clicked Next.

Figure 5: Ready to Complete
    The final step in creating a backup job is the Ready to Complete page, where you are given a summary of what you are about to do. All you need to do is to review it and click Finish.
    At this point, the backup job is added to the Backup tab. If the current time is within the backup window, the backup job will start.
    Monitoring your Backup Job

There are a few different places to monitor your backup job. In the Backup tab, it will have a Start Time and Last Execution for the job. Still, I like to monitor the jobs over in the Reports tab.
    You can monitor jobs (and many other things) in the Reports tab under Events and Running Tasks. The Events section will show when a backup job has completed and the Running Tasks will show the status of a backup job that is currently running. Here is what the Reports tab looks like with a completed job under events:

Figure 6: Backup job completed successfully in the VDR Reports tab
    There are a couple of other places to go to look at the status of backup jobs. You can go to the Configuration tab and look at the Log section and also in the Restore tab. Here you can look at what data is available to be restored for that VM guest. Here is what they would look like:

Figure 7: Viewing Backup status in the VDR Log
    How do I restore my VMware ESX VM with Data Recovery?

Restoring a VM guest with VDR is really the opposite of backing it up. The Restore Wizard is really just a two step process with a confirmation. The restore is really as simple as choosing the source and destination.
    You can choose to start a restore in multiple places. I went into the Restore tab to see every backup performed for a particular VM guest. From there, I chose the specific dated backup that I wanted to restore.

Figure 8: Choosing the VM guest that you want to restore
    This brought me to the Restore Wizard where I was able to select the destination for the restore.

Figure 9: Selecting the restore destination
    To verify my selections before actually carrying out the restore, I double checked my steps so far in the Ready to Complete restore window, below.

Figure 10: Ready to Complete the Restore
    A few minutes later, the restore of the Windows Server guest VM was complete!
    Where can I get more resources about VMware Data Recovery?

Here is a list of resources to learn more…

alimohamadi سپاسگزاری کرده است.

کلمات کلیدی در جستجوها:

vmwaredatarecovery.vmdk

vmware backup

vdr vmware

veeam recover individual files tutorial

VMware Data Recovery

vmware disaster recovery

restore vdr vmdn on another applicance

vcenter server

VMware Data Recovery monitor backup jobs script

vmware data recovery reports